.

.

12/5/11


1148 SENECA PLACE// Roses from my mother's garden

12/5/11
1148 SENECA PL_2_RESIZE
1148 SENECA PL_4_RESIZE

I went home last weekend to share one last dinner with my family before my brother Geoff set off to move to New York City.  This past year, my brothers and I returned from different parts of California, as semi-aduts having graduated college set in our opinionated ways and theories on how things should now be done.  It had the potential to be one of the worst ideas our family ever came up with, but it ended up being one of the richest summers of my life. We unpacked our bags and slept in our old bedrooms and twin sized beds, amidst posters and CD's containing dust containing particles dating back to the 1990's. We ate dinners together around our ancient circular breakfast table, and stayed up late talking about books and podcasts and gossiping about what the other sibling said to our neighbor, or who came home suspiciously late the other night. 

I took some photos of my mom's roses because they reminded me of the magnificent garden we used to have in our childhood home (which is now living its second life as a lively Indian bed and breakfast of all things!).  My mom would plant these amazing flowers everywhere along this winding path that circled from the water fountain at side of our house out to the backyard where my dad built us a tree house and a play pin for our dog Penny.  I used to think this was perfectly normal, but I'm realizing more and more each day how much love my parents poured out on us, and how they totally created this magical creative environment for us to play and grow up in.  I definitely have a lot to live up to if I ever have kids. 

Sometimes I wish life would just pause so that everything could just stay the same. But of course that never happens and life moves on.  I am excited for what is to come, but I also thank God for the grace he's showered on my life and my loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment